Like any appliance, air conditioners need a little TLC to deliver optimal performance. It's the ACs that haven't been kept in top-notch condition that tend to have a hard time most in heat.
To make certain you do not lose your cool as soon as the weather condition heats up, we asked the specialists at Customer Reports and air conditioning system pros to recognize the most typical issues that turn up with window and main air conditioners. They highlighted 8 issues to fix now. Plus, you'll find our list of top ac system for small, medium, and large rooms, below.
The No. 1 problem impacts both window systems and main Air Conditioner systems, and-- we're delighted to report-- it's the most convenient to repair. Here are eight questions to ask that will help you keep your Air Conditioning at peak performance all summer long.
1. Is the Filter Dirty?
No matter which kind of air conditioning system you have, a clogged up filter limits air flow, reducing effectiveness and decreasing the ability to effectively cool the air. If you haven't cleaned up the filter in your window or portable air conditioning system just recently, make certain you do and after that inspect it regularly. For central AC systems, check the filter maker's suggestion for when to switch in a new one. In CR's tests, filters last anywhere from three to 12 months.
Just keep in mind that if your system is running continuously or if you have family pets, you will require to change your filters regularly. "When we get calls about central air units that aren't working well, 9 times out of 10 it's due to the fact that of a filthy filter," says Stewart Unsdorfer, owner of Central Heating & Air Conditioning in Cleveland.
What Matters to You Matters to Us
We check countless items so you can produce your best home.
2. Is It Too Sunny Within?
If your window Air Conditioner remains in a window that gets direct sunshine in the heat of the day, it'll need to work harder to cool your space. If you have an option, move it to a shadier area. If not, keep your tones and curtains drawn throughout the day to block the sun and avoid it from warming up your house.
3. Is Warm Air Leaking In? Check the seals around your window AC to make certain hot air isn't getting in (or cold air isn't permeating out). Reseal around your system with weather stripping if essential.
" The majority of brand-new window units come with insulation panels to position over the plastic adjustable side panels," states Chris Regan, CR's senior a/c unit tester. "But to maximize efficiency, you'll still require to utilize weather stripping around the border of the system. And always use the maker's setup and safety hardware."
4. Is Your Window AC Vibrating? Air conditioners make a lot of sound, including from the whir of the fan and the sound of the compressor biking on and off. These sounds are normal. But if you hear a vibrating sound, it may imply that your unit was set up incorrectly. Make sure it's sitting firmly in the window and examine the installation instructions in your owner's handbook to verify that no steps were missed.
Central Air Conditioner List
5. Is the Thermostat on the Right Setting?
With a smart or programmable thermostat, you can more quickly manage the temperature in your home so that it's comfy when you exist and a bit warmer when you're not. If the temperature appears off, make certain the thermostat isn't exposed to direct sunlight, which may trigger it to register the wrong temperature level.
6. Are the Registers Dirty or Blocked?
If you have a forced-air cooling and heating system, routinely vacuum the registers to get rid of any dust buildup. Make sure that furnishings and other items aren't blocking the air flow through your signs up.
7. Are Plants Crowding the Compressor?
The outdoor compressor for central air conditioning requires adequate air flow to work properly, so make sure there's at least 2 to 3 feet of area in between the compressor and any plants or structures. There ought to likewise be 5 feet of clearance in between the top of the unit and any trees above.
8. Did You Keep In Mind the Yearly Checkup? An examination by a HEATING AND COOLING (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) professional can capture any Find more information serious issues prior to they get worse and leave you hot and troubled. The service technician will check all the moving parts, along with the refrigerant, and recharge the system if necessary.
Required a New Air Conditioning?
If your space a/c is beyond repair, you can discover one that succeeded in our tests for as little as around $200 for a little unit and upwards of $800 for a large one. Ensure you match the size of the air conditioning unit to the space it's indicated to cool. Below, we note models in each size that carried out well in CR's tests. You can discover more in our full air conditioning system scores.